- Rational Approaches to Healing
- Muscle Response Testing and Pitfalls
- Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Therapies
- Devices (Overview)
- Essences and Homeopathics
- Diets, Recipes and Homemade Interventions
- Drugs and Destructive Methods
- Issues with…
- Imbalances in…
- Circulation & Heart
- Structure, Bones, Joints, Teeth
- Lungs & Sinus
- Endocrines – Thyroid, Adrenals, Gonads
- Kidney and Bladder
- Liver & Gall Bladder
- Immune System
- Nerves and Brain
- The Skin
- The Eyes
- Client Info
I do not advertise so you probably got my name from someone who had good results finding ‘something natural‘. Most people have never been to a practicing naturopath/herbalist and have lots of questions and possibly misconceptions. And not all naturopaths practice the same way. I wrote this to help you decide IF you really want an appointment with me. IF, after reading ALL this info, you are still interested in an appointment, you can call the answering machine (757) 867-8633 or email my office manager at PatsOfcMgr@aol.com. We will not schedule an appointment unless we have a verbal confirmation that you have read all of this page. Directions are at the end. (PLEASE don’t call for directions on the day of your appointment! We may not be available to help you.)
As part of my nutritional counseling, I am researching and documenting non-toxic means of analyzing and restoring health. Because of this, I charge a nominal fee for the time I will spend evaluating your nutritional needs ($30 for an initial consultation and $15 for each follow-up). This consultation fee will be waived if the cost of the supplements exceeds $80. I will be recommending herbal supplements that have been effective in helping others. The cost of the herbs may range from $50 to $120 depending on the severity of your condition (NOT covered by insurance AND we do NOT take credit cards). I love interesting cases as they provide me more data and experience with which to help others.
From my experience I have learned that you should NOT schedule an appointment if…. (or cancel your appointment if…)
1. you are merely curious about what I have to say,
2. you don’t have the time to read this entire post BEFORE coming to the first appointment (I must assume that you don’t have the time to invest in your health either – some people just don’t/won’t),
3. you are not willing to take, or, won’t afford herbal supplements (if you cannot swallow pills read this)
4. your doctor does not approve of your taking herbal supplements, (Some doctors are supportive, some are not.) If you are NOT sure how they feel about herbs, ASK THEM before coming.
5. the controlling influences in your life do not approve of your taking herbs or following my recommendations – e.g. spouse, parents, in-laws, your bill payer or your ride here, etc. Lots of opposition wears down your resolve.
6. you are suffering from the side-effects of your drugs and want me to ‘make it better’. I show you how to look them up here. Experience has shown that I may not have anything strong enough to help your body deal with them. Have this discussion with your medical doc.
7. you are not willing to follow through for the time (sometimes 4-8 months) that it may take to improve your health and learn how to stop destroying it. (Your health problems didn’t develop overnight. Time and nutrition are needed to heal and rebalance your body – one layer at a time.)
If we are a match, I’ll bring all my experience and resources to help you. NOTE: I’m apoligizing ahead of time, but if you fail to keep your first appointment or any other appointment, this is a disservice to others waiting for an opening to see me. (We do not call to remind you to look at your calendar) If you want another appointment, I will refer you to someone else.
Pat Block, N.D., D.A.Hom.
The first appointment will be less than an hour. Please come a little early to fill out a short symptom survey. If you can find out your blood type ahead of time, I can recommend a diet that will be helpful. I will use several traditional naturopathic tools like Muscle Response Testing to determine the nutritional intervention and therapies for you. Then, I’ll give you a schedule of what herbs to take along with other educational materials related to my recommendations (all of which are on this site). I have (and sell) several brands of herbs and supplements with which I have had good results and you will be able to get them before you leave (We don’t take credit cards). Brenda will set up a follow-up appointment and then my work is done and yours begins. I do like to work with my clients until their concerns are all resolved AND they feel comfortable being their own herbalist and resolving their problems with ‘something natural‘. The first appointment and a few check-ups are usually sufficient. Again, this depends on the severity and persistence of your symptoms, your drugs, AND your level of stress. Once you ‘graduate’ you may come to my Tuesday drop-in clinic if any disturbing symptoms return that you cannot manage with what I’ve taught you. Anytime after the first consult you can opt to do an iTovi scan. This is a galvanic skin response screening device that also makes supplement recommendations.
The Supplements You Are Now Taking
If you are taking dietary supplements I ask that you stop taking them for 36 hours before the appointment, IF you are able to get along without them. If you have been taking them for some time they have likely done all they can do for you. Big box brands and cheap herbals are generally not good for you for many reasons and can be toxic taken long term.
If you are taking prescription drugs DO NOT stop taking them prior to the appointment. Come with a list of all the medication you are taking. If you are taking more than 2 prescriptions. you MUST do the exercise on this post before coming. If your drugs are causing your symptoms then the only way to completely resolve the symptoms is to go off the drug. This is a discussion you should have with your doc. The only herbs that might be able to counter a drug effect are the ones that have adaptogenic properties or that detox your liver of accumulated poisons.
Natural Healing Basics 101
…so we are on the same page. The first foundational principle is the body heals itself. Your diagnosis indicates that your body has failed to do this for some reason. The second is that the body’s response is always an intelligent response – that is, what it needs to do to preserve and continue your life. ‘Symptoms’ are indicators of imbalances and/or efforts of the body to restore balance.
How do we get sick? Simply put it – we over stress our body, suppress its recovery efforts w/OTCs, insult it with drugs/toxic substances, provide it too few nutrients to function as it was designed, and add pharmaceuticals to mask intelligent body responses (putting black tape over the ‘service required‘ light). The body always does the best it can with what is has to work with. Herbs stimulate the healing process. My job is to find the herbs your body needs to do its own healing work.
An Analogy: Imagine that when we were born, $100,000 was deposited into our health checking account. Through life, we write checks on this account, and hopefully make deposits also. Health damaging actions are withdrawals – like stress, toxic emotions, drugs or over eating. Let’s say that each time we over ate, we withdrew $50. And say every stressful event (illness, job/family problems) or toxic emotion (envy, anger, fear, guilt) was a $100 withdrawal from our health account. Well, that’s OK when you are young and have a big account to back your check, or if you compensate by making deposits into your account by diet and herbs, or resolving problems through prayer. However, when you start having disturbing, recurring symptoms, you are bouncing checks, and it’s time to turn things around – stop making withdrawals and start making deposits. Herbs are sizable nutritional deposits. Love, forgiveness and mercy short-circuit the toxic emotion damage. This is how the body cures itself of even the dreaded cancers and heart disease. Remember – if you don’t take care of your body, where will you live?!
About the herbs I will be recommending
Herbs are strong or concentrated foods that have certain ‘actions’ on the body. For example, some herbs have been historically shown to move mucus, or strengthen the heart, or clear the lungs, or improve circulation, or move the bowels or calm the nerves. Herbs have been used for thousands of years, and if they didn’t work their use would have been abandoned. Herbal remedies are part of every culture.
As far as ‘vitamins’ are concerned, I do not consider these good for long term supplementation because they are isolates and not whole foods. Some synthetic vitamins (big box brands) are toxic to your liver. God didn’t make a vitamin A tree or a vitamin E root. The whole herb contains not only vitamins and minerals but also synergists needed to utilize the vitamins and minerals. All herbal products aren’t equal. Some are diluted with less expensive fillers. Some are imported from countries, which allow pesticides that are banned in this country. Be cautious. Cheap herbs are often impotent and potentially dangerous. Good quality gives good results.
Do’s, dont’s and factoids (necessary to keep my/your costs down)
- DO NOT give my name as your ‘primary care physician’ even if you do not go to doctors
- DO NOT fax any medical records to me, or request ‘medical records’ from me. My notes from our meetings do not constitute your medical records, rather they are my research notes. You can keep your own healing journal.
- DO NOT have medical forms sent to me to fill out and return. Any action by me that could be construed as medical treatment, records or advice can potentially pose legal problems for me. Thank you for your understanding.
- DO write down your appointment time in several places. We do not hire extra staff nor purchase software to remind you to look at your calendar. ‘No shows’ incur the missed appointment fee.
- DO keep your receipts for your own accounting purposes and do not request we re-issue them. No insurance plan I know authorizes payment for supplement recommendations made by a non-state-licensed practitioner.
- DO come prepared with checks or cash. We do NOT take credit cards or debit cards. Insurance pays for no aspect of what I do or recommend.
- DO NOT wear perfume or heavily scented body lotions or deodorant to any appointment.
- DO respect my neighbors and come into my neighborhood and around my horseshoe driveway SLOWLY. Do not block the driveway but park on the side yard and come to the front door.
You can read my bio so you see that really sick folks can get well.
(or Search: 102 Kay Circle 23693 )
From I 64 Take exit 256B onto route 171 (Victory Blvd.) towards Poquoson (as if going to Super K). Cross over Rt 17 and Rt 134. The next light is Big Bethel Rd (Rt 600). Turn left onto Big Bethel Rd. (see ->>> below)
From Hampton Take Rt 134 (Magruder) towards Yorktown. Turn right onto Big Bethel Rd. After the stop light at Victory Blvd (Rt 171) Bethel road turns into Yorktown road. You’ll see on the left the fire station. (see ->>> below)
From Hampton Take Big Bethel Rd north towards Yorktown. You’ll pass over Rt 134 and Rt 171 (Victory Blvd) After the stop light at Victory Blvd (Rt 171) Bethel road turns into Yorktown road. (see->>> below)
From lower Newport News Take Rt 17 towards Yorktown. Turn right at Victory Blvd (Rt 171). The 2nd light is Big Bethel Rd. Turn left onto Big Bethel Rd. (see ->>> below)
From upper Denbigh & York Co. Take Denbigh Blvd toward York Co and turn right onto Rt 17. Take 17 south to Victory Blvd. Turn left at Victory Blvd (Rt 171). The 2nd light is Big Bethel Rd. Turn left onto Big Bethel Rd. (see ->>> below)
->>> Take your 3rd right onto Tidemill Rd. Then make your second right (onto Denise), your first left (onto Pageland) and your first right (onto Kay Circle). We are at 102 Kay Circle – a white two-story farmhouse with a split rail fence in front. THERE ARE MANY CHILDREN IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD, THEREFORE DRIVE SLOWLY THROUGH THE NEIGHBORHOOD AND SLOWLY AROUND MY DRIVEWAY. Enter the driveway next to the mailbox, drive around the back of the house (a horseshoe driveway) and out to the front and park on the side yard under by the “PARK HERE” sign. Do not park on or block the driveway. Please come to the front door.
Consider this…..I have learned more from very sick people than I have from double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over studies. My sick clients taught me how to get them well - things that even my teachers didn't know. I have such smart clients.
** Important Warning **Nothing on this site is FDA approved. Nothing I write here is intended to be medical advice. Follow my recommendations at your own risk. Results may vary, and blah, blah, blah. So if the required warnings have not scared you away, then you have a chance. I'm reporting here what kinds of approaches actually helped very sick people get well, AND the kinds of things that actually made them sick (and it usually isn't lack of exercise, weight, menopause or smoking - it is the underlying cause of all those things.)
** Important Posts **
In case you were wondering..B=Breakfast, L=Lunch, D=Dinner, b=bedtime. Make sure to read What to Expect on an Herbal Program (in the Herb menu) before beginning. Dosages given are about what my clients benefit from. You may be different. Begin slowly and see how each recommendation benefits you.
** Join the Discussion **This website is a work in progress and a sharing tool. Feel free to use the comment forms to share your tried and true 'something natural'.